Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Return of the Insomniac...

The difference between feeling tired when you're travelling and feeling tired living a routine is the type of sleep you get.

Prior to my travels, I had problems getting a good night's sleep. No matter how long I slept, I always wake up feeling tired. The journey into the Sandman's realm was never one of leisure. Even if the storyline was good, the experience was always too exhausting an event to endure. The progression usually comes to an abrupt end and it usually is a cliffhanger which does not have an ending. It's like watching your favourite soap or series and suddenly the Producers decide the ratings are not worth continuing with the next episode.

When I was travelling, the journey was for the most part...for short of a better word, rather wearying. But at the end of the day, your senses just shut down; even Mr. Sandman's doors doesn't seem to want to welcome you. Imagine... suddenly the radio went silent, the TV went blank, the lights went out, the sights and sounds drowned into the darkness that almost seems surreal and eternal. And when the light of the World decides to switch on again, it feels like being a newborn again. Everything seems shiny and new and fresh. And while the journey may be physically and mentally taxing, the constant overwhelming of the senses, the sheer adrenaline-rush of uncertainties, the new faces that gets photographed into the mind, the excitement of a cultural shock... they somehow all convert into positive energy. This is the type of day, I would kill to have for the most part of my existence.

It has been more than a month since my last sabbatical and confinement in a box with 3 other extraordinary and special individuals. My current state seems have to reverted to prior my travels. And that's why I'm itching for the next.

Where would it be next? I have shortlisted a few... could it be Bhutan, the last Shangri-La on Earth; or the land Down Under, Australia; or mystical India; or even the unspoilt regions of the Kingdom of Laos.

Or maybe someone, somewhere out there has a suggestion... or even a remedy.

For now, I'll just settle for some good coffee which are very DARN EXPENSIVE here in Malaysia. In Vietnam, you could get a "Starbuck's-quality" cup of coffee for about 5,000 dongs almost everywhere... and that is about RM 1.25!!! In fact, I reckon at times, the quality even surpasses that of Starbucks! And that was why I fell in love with Vietnam...


...and the banter shall resume in another place and time! Time now, not to meet my Maker but his associate, Mr. Sandman.

No comments: